Who fixes or works on printers?

Clem72

Geek Squad just said nope, they don’t?

Who does? Really good printer, can’t replace.
Unfortunately about the only commoditized parts in most printers are the ink and the screws, everything else is custom. So your best bet is going to be a service center for the manufacturer.

Might get lucky if it's a power problem. And I assume you ruled out the obvious like print head (ink jet) or drum (laser) if the issue is poor print quality.

SamSpade

What type, Laser, Ink Jet, Dye Sub?
Laser. It insists there’s a paper jam and won’t do a single thing until it’s cleared. Except we have inspected every millimeter. And we have tried every reboot or reset feature .

Best I can guess is it’s either a tiny piece somewhere or a roller that resists moving. I have no skill in this but it would be a thousand or more to replace.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Laser. It insists there’s a paper jam and won’t do a single thing until it’s cleared. Except we have inspected every millimeter. And we have tried every reboot or reset feature .

What Model ?

Sometimes a small bit of paper get jammed up in the printer ... or a sensor has jammed or is broken

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If it's older, the rollers may not be as soft as they need to be to pick up the paper, and calls it a jam. Clean the rollers as best you can. You can get a "restorer" that helps renew the rubber a bit. Search for "printer roller rejuvenator".

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Paper jam or feed problem, try a copier repair company. Seems the closest to you are in La Plata (Just Tech) or Prince Frederick (Calvert Copier).

SamSpade

What Model ?

Sometimes a small bit of paper get jammed up in the printer ... or a sensor has jammed or is broken
From *memory* - I think HP M452dn - something like that. Again, too pricey a printer to just - replace.

SamSpade

Paper jam or feed problem, try a copier repair company. Seems the closest to you are in La Plata (Just Tech) or Prince Frederick (Calvert Copier).
When I do that, I will have to call first - it got tiresome walking/driving it around yesterday.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Best I can guess is it’s either a tiny piece somewhere or a roller that resists moving. I have no skill in this but it would be a thousand or more to replace.

There are these things called "sensor flags" which are actuated as paper passes over them. When paper passes over, they pivot, and the "flag" portion either breaks an infrared cell beam, or allows an infrared cell beam to connect, letting the printer know where the paper is in its path. If paper stays too long in one area during printing, for whatever reason, the printing stops and shows a jam. There are many paper path sensors. There is a paper feed sensor, a registration sensor, a fuser exit sensor, paper exit tray sensor, and so on.

The area to really focus on is the fuser section, as the paper sensor can be hidden well with the fuser assembly itself. You should also check the duplex tray, if so equipped, and make sure no paper is in this area.

Get yourself a strong flashlight and shine it in all areas of the paper path. Most paper path sensor flags are usually positioned center of the paper path, or just offset slightly. So focus your search only in the center or slightly off center. You will find the culprit.

Picture of what a sensor flag might look like.

1713478404272.png

TPD

the poor dad

There are these things called "sensor flags" which are actuated as paper passes over them. When paper passes over, they pivot, and the "flag" portion either breaks an infrared cell beam, or allows an infrared cell beam to connect, letting the printer know where the paper is in its path. If paper stays too long in one area during printing, for whatever reason, the printing stops and shows a jam. There are many paper path sensors. There is a paper feed sensor, a registration sensor, a fuser exit sensor, paper exit tray sensor, and so on.

The area to really focus on is the fuser section, as the paper sensor can be hidden well with the fuser assembly itself. You should also check the duplex tray, if so equipped, and make sure no paper is in this area.

Get yourself a strong flashlight and shine it in all areas of the paper path. Most paper path sensor flags are usually positioned center of the paper path, or just offset slightly. So focus your search only in the center or slightly off center. You will find the culprit.

Picture of what a sensor flag might look like.

View attachment 176670
Yo where you been? I’ve missed your posts! SMC is getting on my nerves with his drivel.

LightRoasted

If I may ...

Yo where you been? I’ve missed your posts! SMC is getting on my nerves with his drivel.

Been here. There. But have been lurking in the multi-verse from time to time reading of all the forum has to offer. Many a day I've wanted to comment, but I restrained myself. Needed a break from the recalcitrant and the intractable. But super happy that you have missed my musings. I'll try to get to some of the threads that need to have remarks made upon. In only the way I know how. : )