Maid Service in SOMD

Clem72

Anyone use a regular made service? If so do you mind sharing what you have cleaned, how often, and price range? I have no idea if this is something I can afford or not, but i'm having trouble keeping up with so I would like to know my options before I turn into an episode of hoarders.

PeoplesElbow

My friends mom did until the maid stole a blank check from her, wrote into herself while misspelling the check owner's name even though it was right on top of the check, not only didnt get any jail time didnt even get fired from the maid service for doing it.

Morale: stay away from maid services and find someone you can trust instead.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My friends mom did until the maid stole a blank check from her, wrote into herself while misspelling the check owner's name even though it was right on top of the check, not only didnt get any jail time didnt even get fired from the maid service for doing it.

Not just maid services. We hired a 'reputable' elderly care service to just drive my mom back and forth to her dialysis sessions. Driver stole 3 checks from her pocketbook and cashed them. These people are supposed to be vetted by the hiring company, but there is such a shortage of workers and very high turnover they hire just about anyone.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I would look anyone up on MD case search before letting them in my house to clean. Before we left CA, I had a cleaning service that changed hands. Despite me telling them to not go in my pantry, I kept finding food missing and being eaten including a brand new jar of PB that had been opened. If they stole my food, what else were they stealing?
I recently found several pieces of valuable jewelry were missing from my jewelry box that was in the back of a dresser door. The only people that had access were some pet sitters. I feel very violated and hate that I trusted someone in my home and with my pets. Though my property has outdoor cameras, I see why people get them for indoors, too.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Not just maid services. We hired a 'reputable' elderly care service to just drive my mom back and forth to her dialysis sessions. Driver stole 3 checks from her pocketbook and cashed them. These people are supposed to be vetted by the hiring company, but there is such a shortage of workers and very high turnover they hire just about anyone.

When my Dad was at home in hospice care, there were several aides that helped care for him and helped my step Mom around the house. One decided to go through all of Dad's medications and throw away what he wasn't using or was expired. There was a whole bottle of oxycodone that got "thrown out". There's no doubt in my mind they never saw the trash can. I'm told the street value is $20 a pill and it might be more in NY.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
A lot of negative here, but there are good people. My brother has a maid going on 10 years now, and nothing but the best things to say, and I'm sure there are plenty more good stories than bad. Difference is he had a single person, not a service.

I'd recommend looking for an individual person as opposed to a service.

PeoplesElbow

When my Dad was at home in hospice care, there were several aides that helped care for him and helped my step Mom around the house. One decided to go through all of Dad's medications and throw away what he wasn't using or was expired. There was a whole bottle of oxycodone that got "thrown out". There's no doubt in my mind they never saw the trash can. I'm told the street value is $20 a pill and it might be more in NY.
That actually is how hospice is supposed to work. They take the prescription med you currently have and then they provide it after that. When my mom found out with my dad's she emptied his pill bottles, he had a supersize warehouse sized jug of percocet. Mom wasn't about to let them have pills "she paid for". They sat in the kitchen cupboard and expired a few years later I flushed something like 300 percocets.

Clem72

Well I don't have a lot of expensive things that could be stolen for easy money, but my wife does leave her checks and credit cards laying around everywhere. Also old lotto tickets that end up expiring before they are cashed.

But if I knew someone personally who was trustworthy then I wouldn't need to ask. I assume most people don't have issues otherwise no one would use a maid service?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I'd bet the problem here is that these are all younger women working for the cleaning company.

I remember my grandfather telling me if you want good service, you should go to a widow or an old maid.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I'd bet the problem here is that these are all younger women working for the cleaning company.

I remember my grandfather telling me if you want good service, you should go to a widow or an old maid.
:burning:

SugarBear47

I've used Merry Maid and MaidPro. They are pretty much the same. 3 br house, 2 baths $135. Every 2 weeks. Here's the thing....they don't move furniture aside to clean underneath, they will clean "around" anything on the floor rather then pick it up no matter how small. Decent job in bathrooms, and dusting furniture, and in the kitchen. They don't do beds, they don't load a dishwasher or do laundry. Well they will but you pay extra.

ginwoman

I've used Merry Maid and MaidPro. They are pretty much the same. 3 br house, 2 baths $135. Every 2 weeks. Here's the thing....they don't move furniture aside to clean underneath, they will clean "around" anything on the floor rather then pick it up no matter how small. Decent job in bathrooms, and dusting furniture, and in the kitchen. They don't do beds, they don't load a dishwasher or do laundry. Well they will but you pay extra.
That stinks that they don't move anything no matter how small. I wonder if they're all like that.

Bonehead

That actually is how hospice is supposed to work. They take the prescription med you currently have and then they provide it after that. When my mom found out with my dad's she emptied his pill bottles, he had a supersize warehouse sized jug of percocet. Mom wasn't about to let them have pills "she paid for". They sat in the kitchen cupboard and expired a few years later I flushed something like 300 percocets.
Never flush drugs like that it winds up in the food chain via the processed waste water. Just food for thought , incineration takes them out.