Breezeline

HemiHauler

From my experience that is anything but the case, however I applaud your willingness to live up to the spirit of the law. Reminds me of the time I was early for a meeting at Raytheon HQ (the old one in lexington, ma) and while waiting outside the front entrance I saw an exposed Ethernet jack next to the intercom. So I did what any bored tech inclined person might do and plugged my laptop in. Straight onto the corporate intranet.

Yeeesh. Almost as risky as picking up a USB storage device from a parking lot and sticking it into your machine.

Clem72

Yeeesh. Almost as risky as picking up a USB storage device from a parking lot and sticking it into your machine.
Tell me, ohh wise one, what dangers can be had from plugging into random Ethernet jacks? Does it suddenly disable any software firewall running on your device? Will it force you do download and execute a file? Maybe it was setup for non-standard power over Ethernet and would fry my jack. (okay that last one is technically possible but incredibly unlikely).

Unlike USB which has auto-execution related vulnerabilities as well as ways of compromising systems that scan attached media (or being setup to fry your USB port), plugging into a random Ethernet port is exactly as risky as using an open wireless access point. Which is to say not particularly risky at all if you have your own system locked down and use a VPN for any external access to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.

HemiHauler

Tell me, ohh wise one, what dangers can be had from plugging into random Ethernet jacks? Does it suddenly disable any software firewall running on your device? Will it force you do download and execute a file? Maybe it was setup for non-standard power over Ethernet and would fry my jack. (okay that last one is technically possible but incredibly unlikely).

Unlike USB which has auto-execution related vulnerabilities as well as ways of compromising systems that scan attached media (or being setup to fry your USB port), plugging into a random Ethernet port is exactly as risky as using an open wireless access point. Which is to say not particularly risky at all if you have your own system locked down and use a VPN for any external access to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.

If it were an ethernet port on one of my networks, you’d be in an isolated layer 2 network and I’d metasploit the hell out of your machine. No doubt I’d find something to pop. And I’d drop in a keystroke logger just for fun.

I assume everyone who runs a network thinks like I do and avoid sticking my rj45 where it don’t belong.

Clem72

If it were an ethernet port on one of my networks, you’d be in an isolated layer 2 network
Which would do nothing to the machine that connected to you, just protecting yourself which is fine.
and I’d metasploit the hell out of your machine. No doubt I’d find something to pop.
No you wouldn't. My personal machine isn't a server with dozens of outdated services running just waiting for you to exploit.
And I’d drop in a keystroke logger just for fun.
Did your mommy pay for you to attend a certified ethical hacker class? Sounds like you memorized the buzz words.

I am tempted to proffer a bet, you get 1 week to prepare and I will bring the laptop I am using to type this comment right now with ZERO CHANGES to my configuration and I will plug it into whatever you want. If you can get a key logger installed on my machine I will pay for your sex re-assignment surgery.

HemiHauler

Which would do nothing to the machine that connected to you, just protecting yourself which is fine.

No you wouldn't. My personal machine isn't a server with dozens of outdated services running just waiting for you to exploit.

Did your mommy pay for you to attend a certified ethical hacker class? Sounds like you memorized the buzz words.

I am tempted to proffer a bet, you get 1 week to prepare and I will bring the laptop I am using to type this comment right now with ZERO CHANGES to my configuration and I will plug it into whatever you want. If you can get a key logger installed on my machine I will pay for your sex re-assignment surgery.

Sorry, hoss. Nowhere near southern MD these days. But sounds like you know how to secure your machine so I’ll tip my hat to you.

FED_UP

Hurry up Comcast, they have been laying a lot of cable in the Park, Great Mills, etc., who out there has experience with them, are they any better the others.

SamSpade

Hurry up Comcast, they have been laying a lot of cable in the Park, Great Mills, etc., who out there has experience with them, are they any better the others.
I can’t figure out their deal - are they here yet or not? Saw the crews everywhere and now nada.

So when can we get Comcast?

Clem72

I can’t figure out their deal - are they here yet or not? Saw the crews everywhere and now nada.

So when can we get Comcast?
Pretty sure I saw verizon putting fiber around lexington park in 2010 or so, and still no FiOS. So it might be a while.

SamSpade

Pretty sure I saw verizon putting fiber around lexington park in 2010 or so, and still no FiOS. So it might be a while.
THAT I can comment on. They were in Hollywood too, around that time - to run cable to the elementary school. No sht. No one else along the path got Fios. JUST the school.

My guess is they simply decided putting in the cable for everyone else wasn’t cost effective.

SamSpade

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I love how verizon plans for areas of the county, far less populated than the north end.

Clem72

I've seen this map before. It carries all the assurance that the old FDR Boulevard maps used to - as in, no idea when it will happen.

I guess I am a little confused, because I talked with the crews repeatedly - they seemed to indicate that access to Comcast would begin almost right away.
Why would Comcast do all of that low-density Hollywood area and skip Leonardtown?

SamSpade

Why would Comcast do all of that low-density Hollywood area and skip Leonardtown?
Don't know - LIVING in Hollywood, I'd say, easier to implement, possibly better Return on Investment? I've seen just how long it takes to widen a road through the center of town - in LEONARDTOWN- how long would it take, do you suppose, to rip up all of the property on the side of the major roads, to re-equip with cable?

But I do see your point - that map shows coverage for most of the population centers in lower St Mary's -

EXCEPT Leonardtown. Must be something else happening.

Clem72

Don't know - LIVING in Hollywood, I'd say, easier to implement, possibly better Return on Investment? I've seen just how long it takes to widen a road through the center of town - in LEONARDTOWN- how long would it take, do you suppose, to rip up all of the property on the side of the major roads, to re-equip with cable?

But I do see your point - that map shows coverage for most of the population centers in lower St Mary's -

EXCEPT Leonardtown. Must be something else happening.
They don't really rip up the property, there is conduit along the major roads and even when they have to put in the conduit it's like a four square foot area every 30-50 yards (super rough estimate) they dig and then fill back in. Even in densely populated neighborhoods it's not particularly invasive/difficult. And Verizon's contractors are not working county contracts, they need to get stuff done in a timely fashion.