MotorWeek's Pat Goss Passes

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
pat-goss.jpg

OWINGS MILLS, MD – Statement from Larry D. Unger, MPT president & CEO:

“All of us at MPT are mourning the sudden passing of Pat Goss, an integral part of the MPT and MotorWeek families. Pat came on board MotorWeek as resident master technician at the start of the long-running national automotive magazine series, some 41 years ago. His “Goss’ Garage” segments on each episode of MotorWeek were enjoyed by local, national, and international audiences, all of whom appreciated Pat’s car care expertise and trusted his easy-to-understand insights into how to address a wide range of vehicle maintenance issues. Pat was truly part of the MPT family. In 2018, our network honored Pat with his induction into the MPT Walk of Fame, established to pay tribute to on-air talent for their outstanding contributions to our public TV programs. We offer our condolences to Pat’s family, friends, business associates, and all those who knew and loved this warm, witty, and talented man.”

Date of death: Saturday, March 19

Resident of: West River, Md. (Anne Arundel County)

PBS/MPT series: MotorWeek (automotive magazine series); website: motorweek.org

Tenure: a member of the Maryland Public Television (MPT) on-air talent team since the series' first episode in 1981

Description of role in series: Pat Goss, the widely respected automotive expert, earned the affection and regard of viewers nationwide by virtue of more than 1,000 appearances on the public television series MotorWeek, produced by Maryland Public Television. Since his MPT debut, viewers were able to lift the door on “Goss’ Garage,” his popular MotorWeek segment, and learn from his expertise. This six-decade veteran of the automotive diagnostic and repair industry helped millions of car owners gain knowledge and confidence.

I still remembering calling his Saturday morning radio show and within 60 seconds he and his guest told me what was wrong with my Jeep Wrangler. It was the EGR system. Too bad 3 of St. Mary's most incompetent mechanics, including the Chrysler dealer couldn't figure that out.